Thursday, September 30, 2010

Brown v. Board: What insights does it provide the reader in a historical context to TKMB? (Week 3)

     Brown v. Board of Education was a supreme court case about an African American man wanting his daughter to go to a school around the corner instead of a school that is far away. He sues the Board of education to try to get his daughter to go to an all white school. In the end they created a law that did not allow schools to separate their students because of the color of their skin.This relates to the context of the book by letting the reader knows how African Americans were treated. This books is taking place in the time period when segregation was happening. Scout's father is a lawyer for African Americans, and is talked about a lot, negatively. Scout gets in trouble with a class mate because the class mate makes fun of her dad for helping African Americans. It is hard for Scout because she does not see anything wrong with helping African Americans. One night Jem, Scout, and couple of their friends mess around with the Radley house. Mr. Radley shots at the "intruders" and says that he thought they were African Americans breaking in to his house. This shows that he thought he had the right to shot because it was an African American, when really it was a bunch of little kids. It was hard for African Americans, but it was also hard for Scout to realize that people do not see people as equal people. This helps make most of the story, because then there would not be many issues between the Finch family and other people in their town.

5 comments:

  1. Your explanation on how Scout doesn't see the world as separate and how the conflict between racism is very strong. I never thought about how that played the main role in the story and without it how the story would have nothing. When you brought up the Radley's and Mr. Radley shooting I think that's a key turning point where you start to see a lot of racism in the characters. Well written out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both wrote about how Atticus is representing Tom Robinson, which I think is very important. I like how you talked about when Scout go into a fight during school when she and her dad were being made fun of. You are really good at getting your point across, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you wrote! My favorite thing is when you wrote about how he wanted his daughter to go to a better school that was closer. It shows how much parents care and how serious a situation like that really is. Good job, you did lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how your title was different than most. I just simply put Brown vs board of education. You had good information and made good connections between the Brown vs Board of education case and the Tom Robinson case in To Kill a Mockingbird. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job!! I found your post very informal. You can tell that you took your time to find good, solid information and thought about what you were going post. I like the connection you made with the book. I think your blog post was very interesting to read and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete